Step 1: Put your MP3 player or whatever on random.
Step 2: Post the first line of lyrics for the first 40 songs that play, no matter how embarrassing the song.
Step 3: Post and let everyone you know guess what song and artist the lines come from.
Step 4: Strike out the songs when someone guesses correctly.
I’m giving you two lines and excluding instrumentals, spoken word and mash-ups – cause that would be cruel and would involve things like ‘So, pornography’ or ‘If you’re in marketing kill yourself” courtesy of Bill Hicks.
- Do you remember a guy who’s been/in such an early song
- I’m walking backwards for Christmas/across the Irish Sea.
- Close your eyes my sleeping child/Don’t let a teardrop fall
- I’ve got a job back in Texas/Cutting the grass before breakfast.
- Goodnight my love/Pleasant dreams and sleep tight my love
- Hurry hurry, step right up/See the saddest show in town
- I am just a cowboy/Lonesome on the trail
- Sul mare luccica/L’astro d’argento
- You’d be so easy to love/So easy to idolise
- I’ve got a feeling/A feeling deep down inside oh yeah
- Everytime I kiss somebody new I/Make believe I’m kissing you, but oh
- Stars shining bright above you/Night breezes seem to whisper I love you
- You dance at the discotheque/That’s why you look such a wreck.
- If the smile on my face/Doesn’t mean much anymore
- In the morning we arise and/Start the day the same old way
- Here come the Nice looking so good/He makes me feel like no one else could
- Well it ain’t no use to sit and wonder why babe/If’n you don’t know by now.
- Well… Oh baby baby/Don’t you want a man like me?
- Well they took some honey from a tree/Dressed it up and they called it me
- Long afloat on shipless oceans/I did all my best to smile.
- Deep in the back of my mind there’s an unrealised sound/Every feeling I get from the street says it soon could be found.
- She was a Mexican girl, she had Mexican blood/I seen it the night that she died.
- She came in through the bathroom window/Protected by a silver spoon
- I’m gonna leave you here/I’m gonna leave you at the station
- You never wear a stitch of lace/Your powder’s never on your face
- Waltzing round the room tonight/In someone else’s clothes
- I remember there was mist/Swirling mist upon a vast glassy lake
- Tonight there’s gonna be a jailbreak/Somewhere in this town
- Good morning campers/I’m your Uncle Ernie
- Oh, oh oh oh oh oh/You don’t have to go
- I’ve got a word or two/To say about the things that you do
- Now I’ve watched you sitting there/Seenthe passersby all stop and stare
- There’ll be dancing in heaven/On the night before the longest day
- And theyll lay you down low in the easy/And the lips that you kiss will say Christmas
- Ah Tim Finnegan lived in Walken Street/A gentleman Irish, mighty odd
- Cloudy morning/Dark as night
- Dream when you’re feeling blue/Dream that’s the thing to do
- In the year of the famine when starvation and black death raged across the land/There were many driven by the hunger to set sail for the Americas
- Love is like oxygen/You get too much, you get too high
- It’s a tedious existence/Laying your love on the line.
Some of these could be by a number of artistes, so I guess your job is to guess which I’d listen to. Knock yourselves out